Non-Pilot Flying Skills Course
This program combines ground school and the flight simulator to introduce the non-pilot to basic aircraft control concepts. I will guide you through the critical elements of managing an aircraft in the event the pilot becomes incapacitated during flight. This is also an excellent course for the person who flies frequently and would like to be able to assist the pilot with avionics, communications or other aircraft management tasks while flying.
The course combines ground discussion and simulator training that introduces key elements of flying the airplane, a basic introduction to avionics, basic communication skills, how and when to ask for help in case of an emergency, and how to safely get the airplane to a runway and land.
The course syllabus includes:
- The nomenclature of the various airplane controls and what role they play in flying the airplane
- How to climb and descend
- How to turn
- How to glide
- How to land and what role the wind plays when landing
- How to taxi the airplane on the ground
- Basic training for operation of the radio and other avionics in the airplane
- How and when to ask for help