Non-Pilot Flying Skills Course
This program combines ground school and the flight simulator to introduce the non-pilot to basic aircraft control concepts. I will guide you through the critical elements of managing an aircraft in the event the pilot becomes incapacitated during flight. This is also an excellent course for the person who flies frequently and would like to be able to assist the pilot with avionics, communications or other aircraft management tasks while flying.
The course combines ground discussion and simulator training that introduces key elements of flying the airplane, a basic introduction to avionics, basic communication skills, how and when to ask for help in case of an emergency, and how to safely get the airplane to a runway and land.
The course syllabus includes:
- The nomenclature of the various airplane controls and what role they play in flying the airplane
- How to climb and descend
- How to turn
- How to glide
- How to land and what role the wind plays when landing
- How to taxi the airplane on the ground
- Basic training for operation of the radio and other avionics in the airplane
- How and when to ask for help
This course is not designed to make you a pilot but to provide you with the basic skills necessary to understand how your airplane flies and to assist in case of an emergency.
This course is built around the Redbird Flight Simulator and is personalized to meet the unique elements of your situation, level of understanding, the specific aircraft that you fly in most often, and other factors that are important to you.
- The course is Three (3) hours in length
- The course is offered at the Tech Aviation Flight School, Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Airport
- The course is available when it fits your schedule. Call 570-430-8527 to schedule your training or to ask any questions that you may have.